Monday, June 01, 2009

.002 bighearted

As we journey with Feinberg and each other deeper into our relationship to the divine, we find God to be "bighearted." What exactly does the author mean by that? "God whose love cannot be contained, coupled by a desire for real relationship" (p. 32). I try to see both sides of the coin. I regularly look at different aspects of my faith and try to see them as an outsider or non-believer would. I am well aware that some of my beliefs must sound crazy to others, so I appreciate the skepticism of non-believers. But when it comes to this bighearted God and this definition of bighearted, I cannot imagine who would not want this sort of relationship.

Closely related to that invitation to real relationship is the invitation to real life. Feinberg writes, "Jesus isn't providing an explanaton of how to live as much as he is issuing an invitation to real life" (p. 39). Real life surely cannot happen without genuine love and honest relationship(s).

There's a lot to say about this bighearted God, but I don't want to direct us too specifically. Comment in any way you're inspired to do so, or begin by answering one of the questions provided for us in the book: "In what ways has God been bighearted with you?" (p. 198)

1 comment:

  1. I love how Feinberg started the chapter by describing her upbringing. It helped to put her relationship with God into perspective. I too have a father that is big hearted, so that is a helpful way for me to view God. I think it's easy to forget that as Feinberg said: "God is very bighearted. In every circumstance, he doesn't just give us what we ask for, or even what we need. He gives us more, and in the process, invites us into a deeper relationship with him." (Pg. 31)

    I feel like God has always been bighearted with me. I just take a while to realize that he's given me even more than I've asked for.

    ReplyDelete