Wednesday, May 27, 2009

what's organic?

When I told my sister about this book and our online discussion, she was skeptical. The word "organic" in the title was off-putting to her immediately. She's surely not alone. I think "organic" often brings to mind tofu, yoga, Birkenstocks, and a Prius with bumperstickers for Ralph Nader and GreenPeace. (I don't know what's wrong with any of those things, but I can appreciate that they don't fit in with everyone's lifestyles...)

Our author uses "organic" in terms of her relationship with God to mean "Natural. Pure. Essential." If I'm geniune in my desire to draw near to God, then--of course--I want that relationship to be pure. I want it to be such an inseparable part of my life that it's as natural as breathing. I want to feel entirely dependent upon God, recognizing that God is essential to my every moment.

What about you? Where do you seek God? What qualities do you desire in your relationship with God? Do you want it to be pure? natural? essential? intimate? constant? surprising? what?

In the workbook that accompanies our book (and you're not expected to have the workbook, I'll just use it as a resource), we are asked, "Is there anything about seeking God that makes you uncomfortable?" What is it? Why is it uncomfortable? There are plenty of valid and admirable reasons for seeking some uncomfortable things. What are your reasons for it in this case?

2 comments:

  1. When Karen told me about the book Organic God it excited me...I love the words natural, pure, essential... God is essential in my life, I seek God and give thanks to God in all things. It is my hope that this book will bring my relationship to God deeper, more meaningful and intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I desire for my relationship with God to be more constant. I'm often guilty of seeking God out when I need or want something. Sometimes I forget to check in with him during the good times. I sometimes feel that seeking God is uncomfortable. I think it's because I'm admitting that I'm vulnerable and can't do it alone. I hope that this book helps me to make my relationship with God more constant and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete