Sunday, May 17, 2009

Our Triune God: All About the Love

Thinking theologically before we're reading...

St. Augustine left us many metaphors for the Trinity in his writings. As much as I love tradition (and I do--I'm about to quote Augustine for goodness sake!), "God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost" doesn't really move me. I prefer "Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer" and other more creative interpretations of the Trinity. My new favorite metaphor is this one from St. Augustine that I ran across last week: God is the Lover, the Beloved, and the Love that unites them. Wow. That stirs my soul and gives me a new layer of understanding.

So what about you? Do you care? Do you relate to the Trinity or just stay out of the non-sensical three-in-one and one-in-three stuff? If it matters to you, why does it matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment